PAB RE: USG Green Paper

Roberto Gaetano (Roberto.Gaetano@etsi.fr)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:24:13 -0000

Perry,

You wrote:

> I hate to say this, and it is going to be contraversial, but we are
> under no obligation to listen to Ira Magaziner. We should simply
> continue forward. I mean that. The U.S. government does NOT control
> the entire Internet -- at best it controls the NSI contract. The
> Internet is an international entity. We are not under any obligation
> to go ahead with a half baked idea that the White House came up
> with. The gTLD MoU was well thought out, the database has been
> designed and built, and there is no reason whatsoever to change our
> plans. We should tell Mr. Magaziner "thank you for your input, and we
> appreciate your concern, but unfortunately we have moved way to far
> ahead to stop now."

Our "obligation" to listen to Ira Magaziner does not come from our
approval of the Green Paper, but from the fact that he has the keys to
the root.
He may not own it (for sure "morally" he doesn't), but is in his
possession.
I fear we have no choice: we have to negotiate with him.
I would love to be wrong: please let me know if this is the case, I'll
be glad to buy a beer.

Regards
Roberto