Re: Motion to accept Re: PAB charter

Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 19:04:48 -0500

Jim Dixon writes:
> I am watching. [...] Have you noticed the people abandoning ship?
[...]
> What is needed now is not more of the same old arrogance. It's time
> to pay very close attention to the real world, not waste time setting
> out more elaborate and irrelevant rules and regulations.

It is time, Jim, to stop wasting time on racing in circles proclaiming
the death of the MoU.

I realize full well that the U.S. Government is a not insignificant
organization (to say the least). On the other hand, it is also the
fact that the U.S. Government is NOT the ruler of the earth.

Perhaps you believe yourself to live in a U.S. colony rather than an
independant state, but so far as I can tell most countries on earth
believe themselves to possess fully independent sovereignty, and the
Internet is a fully international resource. The mere technicality that
the internet STARTED in the U.S. has about as much relevance as the
notion that because transistors were invented here people worldwide
are subject to U.S. regulation of their computer industries.

Ira Magaziner may believe that because he sits in a large office in
the U.S. Presidential Palace, pardon, I mean "The White House", that
he has the right to pass arbitrary rules about any topic he
wishes. However, it turns out that even under United States law, he is
merely an advisor to the president and not allowed to order anyone to
do anything. Sure, he can call up Jon Postel and tell him "Jump out
the window NOW", but Jon isn't under any legal obligation to do so.

So, for the rest of us, the task is to remain focused on task,
continue to work on the MoU, and to politely explain to the folks who
think that they rule us that unless they can present us with the
chapter and verse in the U.S. Code that converts their "Green Paper"
into legitimate government regulation, we will have to treat their
comments as advice that we have considered but intend to reject.

Now, Jim, are you with us, or are you going to waste our time? We have
work to do.

Perry