Re: Motion to accept Re: PAB charter

Jim Dixon (jdd@vbc.net)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 22:54:04 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, John Charles Broomfield wrote:

> > For the Nth time, the proposition is: EuroISPA will urge its members
> > to join [fax in a signature] if two conditions are met:
> >
> > [1] each can appoint whoever they wish as their representative and
> >
> > [2] each designated representative will have as many votes, where
> > votes are relevant, as there are organizations appointing him or
> > her as their representative.
>
> I presume you have some motives to join the PAB, amongst them to show
> support
> for gTLD-MoU, and also to change things you don't like about the whole
> system.

Yep.

> With regarding to your second point, it's pretty simple:
> Get each ISP to join the system AS IS, have them designate an
> independent
> person to contribute to PAB (being ISPs, this is NOT difficult, as
> normally
> the person who is the sysadmin would probably not mind doing so), and as

Our members range from very large ISPs to very small ISPs to law firms and
Web farms. Many would be hard-pressed to identify any such individual.
Most would not appoint techies to represent them on policy issues.
Larger ISPs appoint very different people to represent them on different
matters.

BT sends a very senior engineer to represent them at the LINX in London.
It sends a lawyer to ISPA. The engineer deals with technical questions.
The lawyer deals with policy questions. This is a policy question.

FYI very few ISPA UK members are represented by techies.

> What's your problem with this?
>
> Is it so much to ask of those ISPs a ONE TIME participation?

You miss an impressive number of points. Do I really have to
reiterate that I would expect to represent no more than some UK
ISPs, that no one in Finland would know me from Adam - other than
the Finnish rep to EuroISPA? Do I really have to say that this is
NOT my decision?

EuroISPA has agreed to support the gTLD MOU, subject to a certain
number of conditions. The EuroISPA Council has to agree that these
conditions have been met.

You should assume that conditions [1] and [2] above are basic
requirements.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015