Re: Representation on PAB

Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:56:45 -0800

On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 05:40:36PM +0000, Jim Dixon wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, John Charles Broomfield wrote:
>
> > The heart of the matter here is that our friend Jim wants to have one
> > organisation (Euro-ISPA) sign up, claim that he speaks for 500 ISPs,
> > and therefore have vested in one single person 500 votes.
> > From there he said, ok, then I get all 500 to sign, all of them name
> > a rep (the same one, so I presume he means himself, but the person
> > doesn't really matter), and then I get 500 votes.
>
> I know that it's difficult to stay on the straight and narrow, but
> I said no such thing. Repeating myself once again, what I did propose
> was that EuroISPA might urge its members to sign the gTLD MOU if
>
> [1] each organization could appoint whoever they wish as representative
> and
> [2] each such designated representative have a vote for each signatory
> appointing him or her as representative

Actually, that is not what you proposed.

Your original proposal was that a blanket organization such as
EuroISPA be able to sign the MoU, and receive votes commensurate with
the entities it represented. One signature, many votes. Presumably
after a short time you realized the absurdity of such a position
(which *is* consistent with EuroISPA signing and getting 500 votes --
it all depends on what definition you use for "represent"), and
changed it to the above.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...