PAB Re: site security

William Allen Simpson (wsimpson@greendragon.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 98 18:33:39 GMT

> From: Marc Hurst <mhurst@fastlane.ca>
> At this point in time I strongly believe that this decision should be
> left to the membership. Although the suggestions here are strong the
> membership is dismayed enough at what happenned at Best and their needs
> to be some real accountability and involvement demonstrated.

I do not understand. This is the list for "the membership".

Of course we (the membership) are dismayed at the theft. The timing
indicates inside knowledge as to when an employee was going to be
missing. The key cards should indicate who has been in and out of the
building, which should provide accountability and aid the investigation.
The quick recovery by Emergent was commendable, but it would have been
nice to have been prevented.

Whether a better security arrangement could be provided is surely an
appropriate topic for this list....

Any final decision on site planning and server location will be made by
the Policy Oversight Committee, but PAB and CORE are supposed to advise
the POC under gTLD-MoU 6(f). The suggestions by Kent, Perry, Dave and
others (including myself) appear to follow that vein.

WSimpson@UMich.edu
Key fingerprint = 17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26 DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32