Official PAB position on competing registry administration

Dave Crocker (dcrocker@brandenburg.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:47:57 -0800

At 11:21 AM 2/27/98 -0500, Bob Helfant wrote:
>At 05:41 PM 2/26/98 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>How is CORE no competition? Seems like a competitive system to me.
>
>How can one company proposing to control all TLDs be considered
>competitive. It is another version (albeit more international) of NSI.

I'm unaware of any one company proposing to control all TLDs. As to all
generic TLDs, well yes that was the original model.

I do believe that it is past time for the gTLD MoU community to accede to
the various forces which are creating pressure for multiple gTLD registry
administration authorities. A small number of competing registries seems
likely to create constructive, long-term tension (pride of performance)
amongst the different groups.

On the other hand, it remains essential that these groups be operated on a
strict cost-recovery basis and with an explicit public oversight function.

Different registries might satisfy these requirements in different ways,
but the benefits of competition do not require the lock-in detriments of
for-profit motive.

It would be very helpful for the PAB to take an explicit and official stand
on this.

d/
Dave Crocker Brandenburg Consulting +1 408 246 8253
dcrocker@brandenburg.com 675 Spruce Drive (f) +1 408 249 6205
www.brandenburg.com Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA