Re: PAB John Jacob Jinkleheimer Schmidt.

Dan Busarow (dan@dpcsys.com)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:48:58 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, John C Klensin wrote:
> While encouraging cooperation and goodwill worked better in the
> Internet's pre-industrial period than today, I believe that in
> circumstances where the distinctions are plausible, clear
> statements of intent and some gentle educational effort when
> there is evidence that people don't understand the intent will
> still cause the right thing to happen most of the time. I'm not
> suggesting legal-level controls or ones that can successfully
> resist determined attacks by sociopaths or deliberate wreckers,
> only that clear intent and consistent requests for cooperation
> may yield 75% solutions, especially when there aren't other
> constraints (e.g., readings of the trademark laws that require
> strong defenses against "dilution"). And I think that, in
> these sorts of cases, those 75% solutions may be worth the
> trouble.

John,

Are you suggesting wording like

"Registrants of SLD's under .nom are strongly encouraged
to accept third level registrations from other parties
in a fair and non-discriminatory manner."

be incorporated into the .nom (or all gTLD) charters?

I agree that encouraging people to do the right thing is worthwhile.
*Requiring* them to do the right thing is ... foolish?

Dan

--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com