Re: Constituencies

Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 07:16:42 -0800

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 09:47:17PM +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> Dear DNSO participants,
>
> How do the attendees break themselves out by constituency?
> Registry: 18
> Registrars: 3
> ISP and infrastructures: 7
> Businesses: 1
> TM: 2
> At large: 3
> (from the Monterrey meeting notes)
>
> If businesses equate with the Domain Name Owners, we must all agree that
> they were pretty badly underrepresented in the meeting.

Actually, business+TM+at_large represent domain name owners. The at
large constituency should probably be thought of as the "individual
domain name holder" constituency, since it has the lowest membership
requirements.

> Yet, the two most permanent constituencies are the registry industry as a
> whole vs. the people who will have to fork out the yearly fees.
> These are not fluid like the others, but , until rights are recognised,
> oppositions of interest.
> Even the TM lobby is more fluid in comparison.

I have no idea what you mean by fluid. The registry constituency
has a very precise definition -- all the rest of the contituencies
are rather loosely defined, and, in fact, every one of them includes
"domain name owners".

> But no seats are reserved for the absent constituency: the people who will
> have to pay for their Domain Name "licences" and ultimately finance this
> representation feast.

The At Large is intended to represent individuals domain holders.

To review, this is the current representation scheme:

registries:6
registrars:3
ISPs:3
Business&organizations:3
TM:3
At-large:3

I think it is clear to everybody but the registries that the
registries are over-represented.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...