Re: Proposal for a new ORSC/DNSO project

Michael Sondow (msondow@iciiu.org)
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:16:35 -0500

Sounds good to me. Action is what's needed, as Stef says, and the way of
going about it that he suggests here sounds right. Stef could have
brought this proposal directly to the ICANN, and by bringing it to the
DNSO first he's given the DNSO the chance to assert some authority
over this issue. IMHO, the DNSO should grab at this opportunity and give
Stef all the cooperation it can.

Einar Stefferud a écrit:

> It seems to me, given the content and tone of the NTIA "Cooperative
> agreement with ICANN" that it is time for ORSC and DNSO.ORG to put
> together a serious proposal to NTIA/ICANN to convene a Fair Hearing
> Panel to take on the task of sorting out the facts relating to the
> backlog of conflicting TLD registry claims.
>
> The issues of the gTLD backlog has so far not been discussed in any
> serious way that I know of, and it certainly was not discussed in any
> serious way in Monterey. Indeed, there ws no place in the results
> from Monterey for prospective gTLD to have any kind of voice as a
> stakeholder constituency. This will have to be taken care of soon byt
> the DNS community, or some otehr solution will have to be imposed from
> otehr quarters.
>
> At the DNSO.ORG meeting in Monterey, there was a solid consensus for
> DNSO and for ICANN to enable Fair Hearing Panels for the purpose of
> giving all concerned Internet stakeholders a voice with which to be
> heard with certainty by those who will be making decisions on their
> behalf.
>
> One of the purposes discussed in Monterey, and often discussed in in
> the past by ORSC, is the use of Fair Hearing Panels to collect,
> analyze, and validate the facts regarding the mass of conflicts among
> TLD contenders that have arisen over the last several years. Indeed,
> Fair Hearing Panels were included in the ORSC Bylaws as proposed to
> NTIA, and have been on the ORSC agenda for most of the past year.
>
> I propose that the time has come to initiate serious actions to put
> the desired Fair Hearing Panels in place. I suggest that this be done
> by preparing a proposal to the NTIA and to ICANN for action under
> their new Cooperative agreement.
>
> I propose that cooperative action now to resolve actual conflict
> problems among the involved parties is one of the very best ways for
> everyone to demonstrate readiness to proceed with transition of DNS
> from US Govt control to Internet Community control. And I propose
> that those of us who are closest to the issues should take the first
> steps to initiate action, while ICANN is still groping for its proper
> place in the cooperative coordination management structures of the
> Internet.
>
> This cooperative effort should be focused on resolving all the TLD
> conflicts so that sooner, rather than later, we (of the Internet
> Community) can begin to add new TLD registries to the root and thus
> remedy the underlying cause of all our problems, which is the market
> structure failure created by restricting the expansion of TLD names
> and thus spawning the NSI monopoly.
>
> Monopolies are caused by market structure failures, and not the other
> way around. So, one of the early things we need to do is enable
> expansion of the gTLD namesapce, and enable competition for NSI, and
> thus reduce and someday eliminating the current monopoly situation.

> [...]

Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are
inappropriate.  It is appropriate to be concerned about
"responsibilities" and "service" to the community.

----- Jon Postel, 1994. ============================================================ International Congress of Independent Internet Users (ICIIU) http://www.iciiu.org iciiu@iciiu.org ============================================================