Re: Users need to be able to speak for themselves(Was:

Jay Fenello (Jay@Iperdome.com)
Thu, 03 Dec 1998 03:57:46 -0500

At 07:46 PM 11/28/98 , Ronda Hauben wrote:
>edyson@edventure.com (Esther Dyson) writes:
>
>>Some further questions:
>
>>How do "users" count themselves? Am I a different person with regard to
>>(say) addresses vs. as an At Large member? How are the users who join
>>(whatever that means) an SO different from those who join the AL membership?
>>As a user, how do I want my influence mediated? Would I like my ISP to
>>represent me in the AL membership in some way? Is membership a burden that
>>I *want* to cede to someone who will go to (boring) meetings on my behalf,
>>study the issues, etc.? How are my interests similar to an different from
>>those of other users?=20
>
>At the Boston Meeting on Nov. 14 people spoke to this.
>
>And it was interesting that what was said was reflected in the Nov. 14
>NYT story and then removed in the edition that actually went into
>the print edition.
>
>Users speak for themselves on the Internet. The Internet is a far
>superior medium for people to participate and contribute to
>the clarification and solving of problems.

Hi Ronda,

Actually, you and Esther are not far apart on this one.

Esther Dyson also wrote:

http://www.ibm.com/services/newmark/mature.html

The Net's long-run impact on democracy, I believe, won't be one of
propaganda or information dissemination; CNN and the various national
broadcasters (private and public) do a fine job of that. The real impact,
if it works, will be to encourage citizen participation, to make people
feel that they can influence the discussion. Instead of choosing from
what's on offer, they can actually make suggestions and arguments of their
own. If you think a politician is brain dead, you can say why instead of
just giving your vote to someone slightly more alive. People want to
contribute their ideas as well as their votes.

++++

Jay.