RE: [ifwp] Re: Proposal for a new ORSC/DNSO project

William X. Walsh (william@tjns.tj)
Thu, 03 Dec 1998 18:06:09 -0800 (PST)

On 04-Dec-98 Christopher Ambler wrote:
>>I did say that I don't envy ICANN the job of making that decision. It will
> be
>>a tough one.
>>
>>And then having to justify it.....
>
> See, I don't think it's very tough at all.

I also wanted to point out here that it isn't so tough for you, because it is
clear which side would best benefit IOD and its primary shareholder.

You attempt to trivialize it with your analogies, but the fact is that neither
IOD or any other "alternative" registry has any claim to enforce. Yahoo.com
has a claim, and Nike has a claim. Yahoo registered their domain name and
built a business around it, according to the rules for doing so. Nike built a
business around their name, and trademarked it, according to the rules for
doing so.

IOD laid claim to .web without any such rules.

And it's claim is not even 1% as strong as the ones in your post.

William X. Walsh (WXW7/WW1506)| TJ Network Services - The .TJ NIC
Network Operations | http://tjns.tj / http://nic.tj
william@tjns.tj/william@nic.tj| Domain Names, DNS, Email,
+1-(209)-493-6144 | DynamicDNS & Web Hosting Services
Date: 03-Dec-98 / Time: 18:03:12