Re: [ifwp] Re: Users need to be able to speak for

Joop Teernstra (terastra@terabytz.co.nz)
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 18:34:53 +1200

At 18:22 4/12/98 +0000, Jeff Williams wrote:
>Alex and all,

<discussion about Texas snipped>

It is all happening, albeit slowly. Minnesota was one of the first states
with a city-wide on-line discussion. I invited the motor behind it ( Steve
Clift) to a forum here last year to speak on it.

For Florida please refer to the posting below . It is also happening in
the UK and California.

To: Interested Parties

From: Paul Craft, Florida Division of Elections

Subject: Notice of Proposed Rule Development to Set Standards For
Internet and Intranet Voting Systems

At the bottom of this message I have attached the text of our Notice of
Proposed Rule Development. The Notice was filed today and will appear
in the December 11, 1998 issue of the Florida Administrative Weekly
which we publish on-line at:
http://election.dos.state.fl.us/faw/index.htm.

This is our public announcement that we are working on a rule to set
standards for provisional certification of voting systems which transmit
untabulated ballot images or ballot data through the internet or any
intranet.

A rule development workshop may be scheduled on December 29, 1998.

If anyone is interested in providing input to the development of this
rule please call, e-mail, or write me prior to December 29, 1998.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Paul W. Craft, CPA, CISA
Computer Audit Analyst

Florida Department of State
Division of Elections
Voting System Section
401 S. Monroe Street, Room 203C
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0250

Phone (850) 921-4110
Fax (850) 488-6174

E-mail pcraft@mail.dos.state.fl.us

Website http://election.dos.state.fl.us

The text of the notice follows:
___________________________________

NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE DEVELOPMENT

DEPARTMENT: Department of State, Division of Elections

RULE TITLE: Certification of Electronic or Electromechanical Voting
systems

RULE NO.: 1S-5.001

PURPOSE AND EFFECT: To establish minimum standards for certification
and provisional approval of hardware and software for electronic and
electromechanical voting systems.

SUBJECT AREA TO BE ADDRESSED: Development and adoption by reference of
a form titled Florida Internet and Intranet Voting Systems Standards
which will set minimum standards for provisional certification of all
voting systems which transmit untabulated ballot
images or ballot data through the internet or any intranet.

SPECIFIC AUTHORITY: 101.015, 101.294, FS.

LAW IMPLEMENTED: 101.141, 101.151, 101.161, 101.5605, 101.5606,
101.5607,
101.5608, 101.5609, and 102.166(9)(a), FS.

IF REQUESTED IN WRITING AND NOT DEEMED UNNECESSARY BY THE
AGENCY HEAD, A RULE DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP WILL BE HELD AT THE
TIME, DATE AND PLACE SHOWN BELOW:

TIME AND DATE: 9:30 AM, December 29, 1998.

PLACE: Director's Conference Room, Room 1801, The Capitol, Tallahassee,
Florida.

THE PERSON TO BE CONTACTED REGARDING THE PROPOSED RULE
DEVELOPMENT IS: Paul Craft, Division of Elections, (850) 921-4110.

THE PRELIMINARY TEXT OF THE PROPOSED RULE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT
AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.

------------------------------

There is also an National electronic voting experiment (beta) planned for
New Zealand.

Please see :
NZEET, the New Zealand Electronic Electoral Trial
(http://www.polemic.net/nzeet.html), will use touch-tone telephone
voting systems alongside Internet voting. It is being operated by a
non-profit trust set up by New Zealand political consultancy Polemic in
collaboration with the California-based electronic voting lobby group
Campaign for Digital Democracy.

The first stage of testing will refine the user interface. In a
full trial early next year participants will vote for fictitious
candidates who will represent all registered political parties. Friendly
hackers will be invited to test security by attempting to break into the
system.

Political parties will construct lobbying Web sites for their
fictitious candidates, with links from the NZEET home page.

--Joop--
http://www.democracy.org.nz/