Re: [kent@songbird.com: draft application]

Michael Sondow (msondow@iciiu.org)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:30:46 -0500

John B. Reynolds a écrit:

> > Members of each constituency shall nominate individuals to represent
> > that constituency. Nominations within each constituency may be made
> > by any member of the constituency, provided, however, that each
> > member of a constituency may make no more than one nomination for a
> > Names Council member representing that constituency. An entity that
> > is a member of more than one constituency may make one nomination for
> > each constituency of which it is a member. Every nominee shall be
> > identified as representing a particular geographical region.
> >
> > Elections for Names Council members shall be held once each year for
> > vacant seats. The term of office for each member of the Names
> > Council is three years, staggered so that each year one third of the
> > Names Council members shall be elected.
> >
> > Each member of the DNSO may cast one vote for one nominee for
> > membership in the Names Council from each of the constituencies.
> >

> Am I reading this correctly - Names Council members are elected by the
> entire DNSO membership, rather than by the consituencies they represent? If
> one or two constituencies constitute a majority of DNSO members, they could
> determine the entire NC membership.

You're quite right. It doesn't make much sense the way it's written. The
simplest way of doing it would be for each constitutency to elect its
own members of the Names Council directly. However, even this won't
prevent the problem you address because entities can be members of more
than one constitutency. It seems that this whole NC membership question
needs more work. It's not the only thing.