RE: Incorporating DNSO?

Roberto Gaetano (Roberto.Gaetano@etsi.fr)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:42:42 +0100

Ciao, Amadeu.
Ti credevo in ferie.

Amadeu wrote:
> A) Incorporation?
>
> I personnally think is an added, unnecessary complication leading to
> added,
> unnecessary bereaucracy . But it reads like ICANN *wants* the SO to be
> separately incorporated, and what we want is a wroking DNSO, not a perfect
> design that never will fly.

Makes sense to me.

> B) Where?
>
> It depends, indeed.

Have you ever thought of becoming a lawyer? You will make a good one!

<hope you don't mind the snip>

> The question is: do e believe that, in the name of "geogra`hical legal
> diversity", at least one of the SOs should be incorporated outsde the US?.
> Uf
> yes, then Switzerland is the best choice, with lots of otheres running not
> that far behind, and many other better avoided.
>
> If noone cares about incorparating outside the US one of the four new
> corps,
> and prefers keeping complete legal uniformity and coherence, then the most
> obvious choice is California, where ICANN has already been incorporated.

There's also one other reason that may lead us to choose Switzerland (or
anyway to be outside the US).
The main reason why we incorporate, if I understand it correctly, is in
order to make a more efficient defense to lawsuits. For instance, not to
automatically involve ICANN (or the other SOs) in a lawsuit against the
DNSO.
This purpose is better served, IMHO, if the two entities are under separate
jurisdictions, simply because you need two separate lawsuits.

> But we all really have much more serious questions on the talbe.

Maybe.
But this question is not trivial.
If we need to incorporate, we need to prepare a set of Bylaws (Bret, you
were right!).
These Bylaws will depend to a certain extent from the country we choose: I
assume that Swiss Bylaws are different from US Bylaws.

This is a point that I would like to discuss in sufficient depth before the
wrap-up ;>) meeting.

Regards
Roberto