RE: Incorporating DNSO?

Roberto Gaetano (Roberto.Gaetano@etsi.fr)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:32:43 +0100

David,

You wrote:

> Here is a problem. Without a clear and widely understood definition of
> what
> the DNSO is and what it is supposed to do, how can anyone agree on how it
> is
> to be constituted?

I don't know whether there's consensus on what the DNSO is and should do,
but here's my opinion.
The DNSO is the unique chance we have to discuss the problems and propose
solutions for the matter regarding the Domain Name Space and its evolution.
In the past, problems like the introduction of new gTLDs were impossible to
solve, because of the confusion of roles and responsibility among IANA, USG,
NSI, ...
The idea is now to have an organization where all points of view are
represented, that will elect a Council that will advise ICANN on what to do.
ICANN will, supposedly, have enough authority to apply the solution, if its
board accepts it and endorses it.

If this vision is shared, the answer to your questions is straightforward.

BTW, what is *your* opinion and/or answer to the questions?

Roberto