Re: Amendments to dnso.org and dnso.net bylaws

Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 17:31:53 -0800

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 10:43:36AM +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> Dear all (both DNSO.net and DNSO.org) ,
>
> I propose to insert the following language in preamble of the SO
> application document, (whether incorporated bylaws or dnso charters)
>

> 1. Decisionmaking by the General Membership of the DNSO is achieved by
> on-line debate and vote

Already provision for this...

> 2. The Domain Name Supporting Organization (DNSO) shall be composed of any
> individual, firm, association, corporation or other entity who is the
> holder of a second level domain (SLD) in any top level domain (TLD)or of a
> third level domain under any second level controlled by a TLD (Hereinafter
> "Domain Name Holder").

This cannot be. You can say that any such person can be *eligible*
to be a member, but you can't automatically make them a member
whether they want to be or not. The DNSO *and it's membership* can
be sued, remember. Legally you simply cannot make someone a member
of an organization they don't want to be a member of -- and I
certainly can imagine that there could be domain holders who don't
want to be members of DNSO.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair				"Do good, and you'll be
kent@songbird.com				lonesome." -- Mark Twain