Re: [ifwp] Re: Constituencies

Martin B. Schwimmer (martys@interport.net)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:21:14 -0500

Kent Crispin wrote:

>Me/Songbird(r), any freelance web developer/internet consultant, eg
>Dave Crocker.
>
>San Francisco Bay Area chapter of ISOC
>
>A private attorney who didn't want to spend the money to be, or
>didn't feel they fit, in one of the other constituencies -- eg, a
>trademark attorney that didn't want to be part of the TM
>constituency. Concretely, maybe Brett Fausett.
>
>An ISP in a developing country that didn't want to spend the money
>necessary to be a member of the normal "presence provider"
>constituency.
>
>Interested individuals -- Elen Rony. Karl Auerbach. Dan Steinberg.
>Marty Schwimmer. Dave Farber. Joop Teernstra. Milton Mueller.
>Patrick Greenwell.

What if my firm belonged to one of the other constituencies?

>A domain name pirate.
>
>A website owner with a virtual domain who has been impacted by a
>domain name pirate.
>
>An individual fed up with harvesting of email addresses in whois
>records, or otherwise concerned with privacy matters associated with DNS.

Realistically, how many of these would pay the dnso fee and bother?
Wouldn't they rather vent on an open dnso list?

>A person with a point of view on dispute resolution that they don't
>see reflected in another constituency.
>
>I could probably go on for some time. Basically, any entity that didn't
>feel their interests were represented in another constituency. Note
>that the operative definition is what *they* think about the matter,
>not what the definitions of the constituencies are.

Does that comment apply only to at large or to all? If I am prepared to
pay the ISP fee, can I join the ISP constituency, even if I wans't an ISP?