Re: [ifwp] Re: What is this? Why are we surprised with it?

Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:55:19 -0800

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 10:36:10AM -0800, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> Please note that Kent is being obstructive.
>
> He wants to limit all communications, with DoC, to DNSO.ORG and ICANN. This
> is unacceptable.

Don't be silly. ICANN talks with DoC because ICANN has a contract
with them. DNSO.ORG has no contact with DoC.

> He is a very disengenious fellow. He knows very well that ORSC operates
> under exparte rules, under these types of circumstances.

Dan Steinberg just sent a message regaling us with tales of his many
conversations with NTIA people. I wonder where the public
transcripts of those are?

> He knows very well
> the track-record of ORSC, in these same circumstances.

Oh, indeed I do. :-) That is precisely the issue.

> He has been on the
> ORSC list for quite some time, including the period in which these rules
> were developed. He even provided some suggestions for them. Now he is
> pretending ignorance in order to show ORSC in a bad light, to the uninitiated.

ORSC did not develop ex parte rules. They are a long pre-existing
set of procedures developed for public agencies.

> These past few weeks have seen a number of disengenious messages from Kent
> Crispin. Mostly questions to which he definitely new the correct answer,
> but worded in a way so as to cast a negative view, completely at odds with
> the answer he already knew about.

You are very perceptive. Let me describe how that goes. I read
reams of stuff on the list, and finally so fed up with a particular
dishonest/inaccurate/clueless/whatever point of view that I have to
respond. Just arguing is pointless, so I respond by duplicating the
behavior in an ironic way. That's what you call "disingenuous".

Sometimes those not so versed in irony don't get it.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair				"Do good, and you'll be
kent@songbird.com				lonesome." -- Mark Twain