Re: [ifwp] Re: Voting mechanisms: The Amer. Arbit. Assoc.

Michael Sondow (msondow@iciiu.org)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:36:47 -0500

Richard J. Sexton a écrit:

> At 11:11 AM 1/15/99 -0500, Michael Sondow wrote:
>
> >1) The A.A.A. has already assisted online voting successfully for a number
> >of organizations, including a large, dispersed trade union.
>
> "We reject kings, presidents and voting. We believe in rough consensus and running code.
> - "IETF Credo. David Clark (MIT)

Rough consensus = stiffling dissent. And what's running code got to do with
it? This is just some IETF hocus-pocus. What's the point of quoting from a
bunch that's working furiously to write a contract for protocol publication
with the IANA? Those people haven't got a clue, to borrow one of their own
expressions.

> "We will create a civilization of the Mind in Cyberspace. May it be more
> humane and fair than the world your governments have made before." - Barlow.

Well, it isn't, since it's made by the same creatures who made everything
else - human beings - with all our weaknesses and fallacies. The refusal of
the IETF to recognize reality is thrusting them into the dustbin.