Re: Merge draft

Michael Sondow (msondow@iciiu.org)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 00:52:10 -0500

Antony Van Couvering a écrit:

> It seems we have a problem with how the drafting is proceeding. The dispute
> concerns two main points:
>
> 1. What is the "merged" draft in relation to DNSO.ORG?
> 2. What is to be done with objections? From DNSO members? From other
> groups?
>
> As to Point One:
>
> >From what I understand, the DNSO.ORG group in Washington this week proposed
> to put forward the "merged" draft as a sort of 'work-in-progress.' It will
> be presented not as the point of view of DNSO.ORG, but rather as a sort of
> extracurricular activity that we did in order to try to find areas of
> agreement with other groups that have not heretofore joined the DNSO.ORG
> effort. It is *not* to be presented as the consensus of the DNSO.ORG.

That's certainly an improvement over the "recommended draft" position
previously espoused by the drafting team, and does go some way to relieving
tension.

> As to Point Two:
>
> I believe it is fair for participants in the DNSO.ORG meetings in Barcelona
> and Monterrey to agree to be bound by the consensus points reached there.

Quite right, and I should withdraw any criticisms I may have made of
consensus points in the current drafts.

> The point is that the "merged" draft does not represent the consensus
> position of the DNSO.ORG group. That should be made clear. If it is, then
> many of the problems will go away.

Some will go away. Not all. Because the suspicion is now well planted that
the DNSO.org leadership, representing the participants, is going to agree to
INTA's bylaws in the name of the DNSO.