Re: AIP DNSO Proposal

Andrew Q. Kraft, MAIP, Executive Director (akraft@association.org)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:31:49 -0500

Mikki Barry wrote:
> At 9:40 AM -0500 1/20/99, Antony Van Couvering wrote:
> >I am a member of the AIP. Only yesterday I received an email from the AIP
> >announcing that ICANN existed, and asking members a few questions.
> >
> >If the AIP draft was based on member comments, boy are you guys quick. I
> >know it's a pain actually listening to everyone, giving them time to
> >consider things, etc., but that's what a democracy is.
> >
> >As a member of the AIP, I can't support an application by the AIP when I was
> >never given a chance to review what is being presented in my name.
> >
> >This flawed procedure illustrates why it's a bad idea to have an "executive"
> >Names Council. There is no incentive to even consult with membership.
>
> Seems similar to what INTA has done. Membership was not consulted in any
> form before their draft was unveiled.

Actually, this is not true in AIP's case. Several months ago, a survey was
sent out to the AIP Research Panel, a group of those AIP members who wish to
receive surveys (opt in). It is made up currently of approximately 10% of
the AIP membership, and is open to ANY member who wishes to voluntarily
subscribe him/herself to the list. The list is announced to the members
quarterly and is available and publicized in our members-only site.

The survey done several months ago collected input as to what our members
would like to see in terms of control and governance of the domain name
issues. This feedback from our membership was the basis of our efforts to
put together the AIP proposal.

Additionally, AIP leadership in regions throughout the world were talked to
and have been talking about this issue for some time. Since AIP is a
chapter-based organization, our chapters provide a direct link to the
membership. In fact, we are having a chapter meeting on the DNSO proposal
and getting feedback with our Boston membership tonite! Others of our
chapters are holding similar events, allowing AIP to hold mini-meetings
throughout the world to collect input and build concensus. An organization
of AIP's size is never going to get 100% buy in on everything, but we are
striving to collect as much feedback from our members as possible on AIP's
position, and go with what the clear majority of respondants are asking for.

AIP recently sent out a survey to its ENTIRE membership to further examine
its position, and will be making the ressults of that survey publicly known
as soon as they are in.

In addition, we are participating in this open list process and encourage
others to participate in our open process as well. Just to clarify: ALL
online discussions of policy for the AIP proposal will now be happening in
an open forum on the public and open dnso.announce@lists.association.org
list. You can find more information at http://dnso.association.org/.

I personally will not be able to join you all in Washington, D.C.,
unfortunately, but Bret Fausett will be attending representing AIP.

Sincerely,
Andrew

--
Andrew Q. Kraft, MAIP
Executive Director, Association of Internet Professionals (AIP)