Re: Hello

mwb@pacbell.net
Sun, 11 May 1997 04:41:51 -0700

Kent Crispin wrote:

> Greetings, gcboaters --
>
> There are seven members of the list as of today, but everybody seems
> mighty quiet. I was hoping to get a little feedback about the
> introductory message that comes with the subscription -- in case you
> have forgetten it looks like this:
>
> The GCBoaters list is for individuals interested in participating in
> private river trips through the Grand Canyon who wish to find a
> compatible group.
>
> The National Park Service issues permits for private trips. The
> current waiting list is 8 to 10 years long. Contact the River
> Permits Office to get on the waiting list, and to find out the
> regulations concerning such trips:
>
> River Permits Office
> Grand Canyon National Park
> PO Box 129
> Grand Canyon, AZ 86023-0129
>
> It is possible, however, to get a place on another individual's
> trip, or to catch a cancellation, providing you adhere to Park
> Service Regulations.
>
> The most important of these regulations is: Private trip
> reservations are *not* to be sold, nor are slots on a private trip.
> If you wish to pay for a river trip there are many excellent
> commercial outfitters. (See http://.... for a list). The National
> Park Service reads this list.
>
> I'm certainly not as up on the nuances of doing a private, since I
> have never been on one, much less organized one. And I know that you
> gentlemen (all gentlemen so far -- no gentlewomen) know much more about the
> politics of the situation, as well. So pleeaase let me know how I
> should amend this information to make it more accurate. Especially
> helpful, I would think, would be references to information sources...
>
> Another thought -- some lists I am on request that you introduce
> yourself when you join. That seems to me like a polite thing to do
> -- we could leave a space on the web page for an introduction, or
> just have people mail one to the list -- but what do you think?
>
> Actually, I get the impression that you all pretty much know
> everybody else, except me, so perhaps I should say a few words:
>
> My name is Kent, but you can call me zero. My first trip to the GC
> was, gosh, let's see, around 1974 I think, on a geology field trip.
> We hiked down to Phantom, spent the night at Bright Angel Campground,
> and came out the next day. We had dinner at Phantom Ranch that night
> -- a steak dinner. As luck had it, I sat next to a vegetarian, and
> traded my peas for his steak. It was a good steak. He said the peas
> were delicious, too.
>
> Starting back up the Bright Angel trail we saw some rafters -- I
> remember thinking what wimps they were :-) (or maybe that was another
> trip -- it all runs together after a while). I was much younger
> then, and I was hiking briskly. At Indian Gardens I was a little
> tired, and when I got to the rim, oddly enough, I could only make six
> inch steps. "Canyon knee", I was told...

> [...]
Morning Kent. My buddy Jeff Lamppert actually signed me up on your list
and happy to be here. I'm leaving today for a may 14 put in at the
ferry. 21 days to pierce then home. I hope to be down again in the
fall.

My first trip was in '88 & the hook sank deep. I hope to build a dory
this summer for the fall trip. Barring that we're looking at a Wyoming
to Mexico trip for summer '98 and hopefully it'll be done by then.

some things you may want to know about if you don't already. The Grand
Canyon River Guides has a website, gcrg@infomagic.com. Lots of good
info, politics, articles etc. Also there is apparently a new private
boaters association started by a guy in Flag. Haven't had any
communication with him yet but would seem a valid thing to do when I
get back. Right now I'm just thinking of pushing oars.

Take it easy, stay on the list, and let me know if you have any
openings. Always glad to get on another trip. BG