Re: GC fishing ?

mwb@pacbell.net
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 16:41:28 -0700

Riordan, Tim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Doing GC in late July.... need advice on what lures the trout like and any
> other feedback on fishing the Colorado.
> Your help will greatly appreciated !!!!
>
> Sincerely,
> Tim Riordan

Yikes. I killed many trout in the marble canyon reach in May june.
Reallistically, almost any lure will do if you know where to throw
them. I like large, 3-4" spoons, red devil's, etc. when fishing for
lunkers. they don't weed up so bad as spinners. The water is cold
enough for action even when it's over 100 but the big ones still hang
out deeper, so let the lure settle. Big lure, big fish.
Smaller/smaller and these fit in the pan better. If youre serious about
tossing a line, plan a couple of meals around the bounty of the river.
We ate trout benedict, trout as an ordeurve, and trout ala trout. Have
a blast and buy your lures cheap. they tend to get lost alot. the big
ones also "gum" vs. strike so be aware of subtle "weighting" of your
line. and don't be afraid to set the hook often until you get the
striking habit down and can tell the diff between fish and chlodifera.

take care

BG Tackett
72 First street
Woodland CA 95695