Re: Catarafts

Leonard Thurman (thurman@azstarnet.com)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 10:05:44 -0700 (MST)

Tim...

You wrote to the list:

>We are scheduled to put in on July 25th, for our first Canyon trip, and
>first whitewater. We seem to be with an experienced/safety-conscious group,
>but have just been informed that, instead of traveling on 4-person rafts, we
>will be on 2-person catarafts, and a paddle raft.
>I would appreciate information and opinions on the safety and stability of
>catarafts......... are they more likey to flip than another kind of raft???

Your message makes me wonder a bit about the nature of your trip. Before I
answer your question about the safety of a particular kind of boat, please
let me inquire about the boaters.

This "experienced/safety conscious group" you mention --- are they friends?
Do you know and trust these folks enough to spend two weeks with them? Did
you take part in the planning of the trip -- equipment, food, shuttles,
etc.? (Many on the list will catch the drift of my concern.) I hope you
aren't "buying" into a "private" trip as a passenger.

Now, to answer your questions. The size of a boat and load makes all the
difference in the world in Grand Canyon. That said, the skill of the
boatman rowing that boat is the critical element in how any boat will
perform in a given situation.

Catarafts have advantages over rafts in that they can be quicker in
handling and don't have to be bailed (but are generally wetter that rafts).
However, an overloaded cataraft can be a slug. Paddle boats can be loads of
fun, but are hard work for all passengers and are subject to the problems
of many minds/paddles and the quality of the captain. In GC, paddle boats
(well, all boats to a degree) are seriously wet.

Flipping? Any boat can flip in GC -- even the big 37' moter rigs. General
rule is though: the smaller and lighter the boat, the more likely that
rouge wave will get you. Again, the skill of the boatman makes the
difference. Or, of course, the Colorado can be very forgiving if your boat
is a quality rig, loaded right, and you get your set up right before a run.

I encourage the rest of the list members to comment on your questions --
and my reply. Certainly mine is only one opinion and I am seriously
predjudiced -- In GC I prefer a 16' raft, a set of oars, and one brain
controlling them. Call me old fashioned.

Good luck on your trip.

LEN

Leonard Thurman http://river.ihs.gov
thurman@azstarnet.com Grand Canyon River Running