Re: Elves Accident (long story)

mwb@pacbell.net
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 07:59:37 -0700

Bruce Schroeder wrote:

> On July 1 my group (13 people at this point) stopped at Elves Chasm
> for a hike. We arrived just as a commercial was leaving and had the
> place to ourselves. We were having a great time posing for pictures
> under the waterfall and splashing around in the water. Most of us
> were headed back to the boats when we heard a cry for assistance. My
> buddy Kurt was sitting on the ledge about fifteen feet above the pool
> posing for a picture. He reached behind and misplaced his hand falling
> headfirst down behind and out of sight. Two of the group watched him
> disappear and heard the awful sound of head hitting rock. (They
> described the sound like a watermelon hitting rock and both had
> nightmares for days) They swam / jumped across the pool and did a
> quick assessment on Kurt. The first person to reach him was Judy, a
> physician and she looked him over and moved him across the pond to
> some daylight to check further. Kurt remained conscious and was able
> to describe the injuries to his head, neck, and hip.
>
> By the time I scrambled back up to the pond and saw him the back of
> his head was covered with blood. I went back to the boat to get our
> (extensive) first aid kit and informed the rest of the group. About
> this time Arizona Raft Adventures (AZRA) motor rig pulled up and
> offered assistance. Tom, the guide was a terrific calming influence
> on me. He asked me three or four specific questions before he even
> got off his boat. By then we had brought Kurt down to river level. We
> were watching for signs of concussion, etc. At this point we were
> thinking of evacuation and AZRA offered to motor Kurt & Judy
> downstream to Blacktail Canyon which would make for a good helicopter
> landing spot. As they headed off it was a pretty sober group that
> pulled together to float down to Blacktail.
>
> By the time we arrived Judy & Tom had a "surgical suite" all set up
> on a ledge in the shade of Blacktail Canyon. Judy had a sterile
> suture kit and put in six stitches. Ice from AZRA was used to cool
> down the neck injuries. Judy and I sat down with Kurt and recommended
> that we fly him out. He disagreed saying he would feel better in the
> morning. It's moments like this that are true "trip leader dilemmas".
> What would you do as trip leader if you and your trip medical person
> (in this case a doctor) thought it was time to evacuate and the
> potential "evacuee" disagreed? The better you know someone the more
> complicated it can become. Kurt has been on every Grand trip I have
> ever made. Will your decisions as trip leader have lasting negative
> influences when you return to "real life"? Way back when setting up
> the trip I had printed out how decisions would be made and how most
> decisions would be consensus but some decisions would be made by me
> for safety reasons. Should trip leaders demand that people sign a
> "disclosure statement"?
>
> While all these things were going through my head, Judy and I decided
> [...]
Hey Bruce. The sounds of water melons falling are no fun. Like the
crunch of metal after a long tire squeal!. Sounds like you made the
right decisions however. As the patient was conscious and apparently
evaluating his own situation the bottom line appeared when he stated he
wouldn't be comfortable riding or rowing a boat. Chopper becomes the
only answer.

Onward. I am trying to find a boater in SLC? named Dave Innskeep. He
bought a dory kit from Greg Tatman wooden Boats in Oregon and outfitted
it for Canyon use. I am embarking on the same path and would like to
pick his brain. How'd he like the boat etc. Also, anyone who has built
their own dory I'd like to talk to on the subject.

Happy to listen. Anytime. B. G. Tackett, Woodland, CA