RE: Grand Canyon launch date Sept 30,1997

Bryan Bates (BRYBATES@coco.cc.az.us)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:50:41 +0000 (AZ)

From: "VINCENT, CHARLES L. -CVIN" <CVIN@chevron.com>
To: "'SMTP:gcboaters@songbird.com'" <gcboaters@songbird.com>
Subject: RE: Grand Canyon launch date Sept 30,1997
Date sent: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:23:00 -0700
Send reply to: gcboaters@songbird.com

Charlie:
My suggestion is go to Lake Meade ("Lake Foul" is above the damn
dam). Yeah, you will have an overnight float, but hety thay are neat.
I usually rig for the night float around Spencer canyon. When I did
a Diamond down this time last year, we floated all the way out of the
canyon and almost to entry for Pierce Ferry. From there, it jusyt
takes 2 beers, 3 if there is either goog fishin' or wind.
Go with the flow!!
Bryan

Hi fellow boaters,

I've signed on with the trip launching Sept 30, that was advertised
several days ago on this same list--the system works!! I've been
delegated a few tasks I need some help with.

The trip leader, Gayle Jann, has an interest in extending the trip down
to Pearce Ferry. That sounds great to me, but I have concerns based on
my experience with Lake "Foul" on the end of a Cataract trip when the
lake is high. From what I've read, there will be 40ish miles of slack
water from Separation to Pearce Ferry. Part of this can be overcome by
the overnight float option, and/or a tow. But the tow option is not
very appealing, since it seems a hollow finish to a glorious 3 week
trip.

I guess the real question is where does the current effectively stop at
the current lake level?? Is it practical to go to Pearce without motor
support?? Is the tow short enough that it isn't a big downer?

Second question would be along the lines of where on the Internet could
I read the permit requirements. From Gayle reading the highlights, the
only thing that didn't sound familiar was the signaling
requirements--I've read the extensive dialog on this list about the
radios and the black boxes that signal satellites and airplanes in the
past month. What are the more typical methods of dealing with requests
for assistance--besides the obvious haul butt for Phantom Ranch or
Diamond Creek??

Charlie Vincent