Red Tape

David Yeamans, CST-7, 5-8832, dryeamans@lanl.gov (dryeamans@lanl.gov")
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:53:24 -0600

At 04:31 PM 9/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>It is the same people who have kept me from running the grand canyon. I
>give up. and no their will not be a permit cancelation because i have not
>gotten on the list. The government the grand canyon is a place for rich
>people who can wade through red tape.
>
>On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jeff Scroggins wrote:
>
>> Who is the lamer doing this mailbombing??

Aaron,
Do you remember less than 10 years ago when Canyonlands wanted to know
exactly how long, wide, deep, heavy, and colorful each raft for a trip was
going to be? This was even before you got a permit -- this was just to
apply for a permit. Thankfully, it is
much easier to get a Cat permit than it used to be.

Let's keep fighting the system that you and I hate, that selects trip
participants based on things that you and I are not -- rich, powerful,
bureaucratic. I am hopeful that we can bring about some change in the red
taping of the Canyon. One proposal I may make is that GCNP make no-cost
loans available to people who want to be on the waiting list but can't
afford it, sort of like student loans. After all, one of the prime windows
of opportunity for doing a canyon trip is just post-college but my 8th
grader would be applying for a permit now to run the canyon and he can't
afford the ticket.

Dave Y.