GC Commercial Trips & free rides

Richard Grayson (rgrayson@down-river.com)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 19:39:33 -0500

At 12:22 PM 9/16/97 -0600, Jim Heumann wrote:

>Statistics from the park show that the outfitters have used 100%
>(sometimes more) of their allocation for at least the last five
>years.
>
>Since these user days are not really part of an allocation there
>is nothing to give back to if trips are cancelled.

Maybe a commercial type out there could answer this....

My perception from observation and hearsay is that commercials will fill up
empty or spare trips with "guides in training", girlfriends, park rangers,
etc.

They apparently do this to keep their allotment of trips from being
reduced. Like the gummint standard "if you don't spend what we gave you
this year, you'll get by fine with that much less next year".

The perception that many private boaters have is that many commercial trips
are filled with non-paying (or reduced paying) passengers/boatmen who are
just along for the "free" ride. Yeah, sure, it's "work", it's "training",
blah, blah. There are a lot of privates who would like to have such a cozy
deal, too.

Now maybe I'm wrong, so correct me if I'm off base here. Can't say that
this is fact for the GC but I know it's fact on several other western
commerical permitted rivers. If it's true, please defend the practice for
my edification and enjoyment.

SYOTR
rgrayson@down-river.com
http://www.down-river.com/rgrayson/

*** Love many, trust few. Always paddle your own canoe. ***