Re: Redtape

mwb@pacbell.net
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:37:18 -0700

Jazzerr@aol.com wrote:

> BG Tackett,
> You wrote, Good soap Jazzerr. I've got to ask though: If I could afford to
> go on
> many trips per season through the Canyon as a commercial customer, based
> of course on my ability to pay, should I not also be able to go on many
> trips per season based on the ability to row my own boat?
> Interesting question, let me pose one of my own. In as much as Butch is
> leaving us because he scored a trip on a cancelation and you in your Previous
> post said, . Since I logged on in May I've had the
> opportunity to participate on three different trips, one of which I am
> definitely taking advantage of. I would ask,
> If I had a lifestyle that allowed me to go on many trips per year based on
> my ability to take advantage of cancelations, shouldn't I also be able to go
> on many trips per year based on my ability to pay ??
> My comment was intended to convey that I work as hard in order to enjoy the
> Canyon as anyone else. If I chose to put that effort in another forum, one
> that pays me a salary which I in turn use to enjoy the Canyon, does that make
> my effort, my commitment, my love for the Canyon any less than someone elses
> ???
> And yes Carl , I did attend all of the meeting at SLC, I also read 13 times
> on the sheets on the wall where is said to the effect " If it ain't broke
> don't fix it " or The current system works leave it alone" I mearly pointed
> this out to make light of the fact that many people are very content with the
> current system.
>

> Jazzerr

Not an issue. I agree with your ability to pay etc. The kick is that I
am, as are a lot of folks on this forum, an oddity. I've been fortunate
to have trips offered to me, can't do them all but still fortunate.
Still, though, it is not as easy to pick up the cancellation or join
another permit for most folks as it is to buy passage. I'm not saying
the work you do is easy nor that you are rich, I'm saying that if one is
rich or has the money and the time, it becomes much easier to go down
the river. Just buy that E ticket ride and enjoy.

What all of this is about is the ability to access the river. Choices
have to be made in our lives. Do I go down river, or do I work this
month? Hell, I've regrettably had to make the work choice. Do you work
to pay for that one vacation trip per year down the canyon? If so
great. But now there are folks talking about no repeats for privates,
limits, etc. The only way this would be fair and equitable is to
establish the same constraints for a commercial trip purchaser, and I
don't see that happening.

I think everyone has gone down the Grand Canyon has dreamed of it for
some time, it's not just a whim. For me it's been since I was a kid.
Now I'm hooked. Everyone I've ever told I do this has said "I've always
wanted to do that". But not everyone puts forth the effort to make the
trip, regardless of the type of trip. I also believe that once down the
river the bug bites to a different extent for different people, and
folks want to go back again and again to the extent they can. Some have
more time and can row a boat, some have more money and can buy a trip.
Is the allocation unreasonable for those who want to go more than once?
Perhaps not. Do the work, earn the money, buy the ticket, pick up a
cancellation, get on another permit, row your boat. Is the allocation
unreasonable for the one trip only folks, private or commercial? I
think very definitely so. Can a private pick up the phone and have a
guaranteed trip in two years? No. Does the commercial have to wait for
8+ years to go down the river? No. Does the commercial have to earn
and save money for the trip? Yes, but that I believe is lifestyle
choice and not a river access question pertinent to the topic at hand.

Tough questions all, and no easy answers. Just more questions. BG