Re: 33,000 cfs

Carl Anderson (carl@moab-canyonlands.com)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:23:18 -0600

At 08:33 AM 9/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Fellow Boaters:
>
>Rumor has it that 33,000 cfs will be released from Glen Canyon Dam over
>Columbus Day weekend. Has anyone had high water runs that compare with
>this? What can we expect in the way of increased current and washed-out
>rapids? I imagine Lava will look like a washing machine. Please advise.

I heard a rumor a the CRMP meeting in SLC about the same thing. According
to the BOR it is not happening. Here is there current operating plan which
can be found at the Glen Canyon Dam website:
http://www.uc.usbr.gov/glda.html The BOR keeps this site updated and is
the best source of info I've found as to the current & projected flows in
Grand Canyon.

Glen Canyon Updated Sept. 15, 1997

Inflows to Lake Powell were 175 percent of normal in
August and are expected to be about 130 percent of
normal in September.

Glen Canyon Dam releases are continuing at 19,000 to
20,000 cfs and will remain at this level through the
end of the month. Lake Powell inflows are currently at
about 14,000 cfs. The maximum lake level occurred
about mid July when the lake rose to within 5 feet of
full (elevation 3695) and the current level of Lake
Powell is about 3690 feet. Releases in October and
November will depend on fall precipitation and the
potential for the current strong El Nino to continue.
If precipitation returns to average conditions, average
daily releases will be reduced to about 14,000 cfs; if
fall rains continue, releases will continue at about
20,000 cfs.

The Colorado River Management Work Group meetings to
discuss the 1998 Annual Operating Plan for the entire
Colorado River have concluded with a consultation
meeting on July 29, 1997. We expect the 1998 AOP to be
issued by the Secretary of the Interior by October 1,
1997. Technical subteam meetings are continuing to
evaluate the implications of alternative surplus
determination guidelines. For further information
contact Randall Peterson at (801)524-3715 or Jayne
Harkins at (702)293-8190.

As one can see the release from the dam may actualy go down not up
depending on weather.

Carl Anderson