Re: Fw: allocation vs freedom

Dave Kehs (kehs@aonix.com)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:15:07 -0400

Tom Martin and Hazel Clark wrote:

> So, the problem i
> am working with in a time line wait is Advertising and Price reduction to
> gain advantage of allocation. It would be easy to increase those GC adds
> (PBS specials), and cut trip prices (to capture the boy scout market), to
> book out two or even 10 years for a commercail trip. How can the private
> folk compeat with that??

Well, if they cut their prices that much they probably wouldn't stay in
business very long, especially if they were paying for lots of
advertising. Their "product" will always be in limited supply even
if 100% of the user days are designated as commercial. It's not like
selling hamburgers where you can cut prices and hope to make your
profits with high volume.

Personally, I'm not worried that the outfitters are going to demonstrate
a big commercial demand by filling 10 years worth of bookings. They're
having trouble with one year and need special rules involving weekend
launches and helicopter exchanges just to do it.

Dave Kehs