Re: CHARTER

From: Alejandro Pisanty, DGSCA y FQ, UNAM (apisan@servidor.unam.mx)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 15:02:57 PST

Hi!

the alternates question seems to boil down to a couple of options.

1. The "running mates" proposal, which becomes "voting by slates of
candidates". I.e., not a name but a pair of names comes up in each vote as
a candidate. Advantages: you know what you are shopping for - if A can't
operate at a given point in time, you have already voted for a substitute,
who can actually have full powers. Disadvantages: this may get very
political, larger organizations have a lot better chance to put up a good
slate even with candidates who are less "attractive" individually. This
position was stated (in less detail, and some thought here is my
elaboration) by Kathy.

2. The opposite extreme, no pairings, as proposed by Nii. No slates, no
pairing. We elect NC reps plus AdCom, that makes a good pool, and if one
NC person goes, we have an AdCom member to substitute. No big-group
politics, a more flat and democratic approach in our circumstances (of
size and of level of participation). But we must be very sure to elect an
AdCom which is "NC class".

What has been happening till now can also be OK but wasn't decided upon.
Alternates are designated by the elected person, and thus are more like
personal deputies or proxies. No objection implied, BUT there has been no
formal way of deciding on this.

I would dare suggest that possibly Kathy or Raul formulate the choices (if
we all agree these are the choieces) more clearly, for a poll or a vote.

I also venture that a large part of the list is not too interested in the
Charter and procedural discussions, and would invite our NC'ers to begin
bringing out an agenda of discussions for the issues before the Cairo
meeting, now very close (few weeks: beginning of March). If we are going
to give each issue a week for online discussion we have room for about
four issues only!!

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty,
     Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
     (Director, Computing Academic Services)
     Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)
     Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 Mexico City DF MEXICO

Tel. (+52-5) 622-8541, 622-8542; Fax 622-8540