Re: CHARTER

From: Kent Crispin (kent@SONGBIRD.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 19:14:12 PST

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 04:46:24PM -0500, KathrynKL@aol.com wrote:
> My Recommendation:
>I woud like to keep the Alternate system as simple and easy in this election
>as it was in August. Letting the NC rep choose "Altenate their running mate"
>will do that.

I do not agree with your proposal.

>Holding a separate election creates a tremendous amount of extra work, and
>may create a situation where the alternates and main NC reps don't work well
>together. That would be completely contrary to the original intent....

In my opinion the original intent is a demonstrated failure. You picked
as your alternates Randy and Milton, all representatives of the same
organization (ACM-IGC). The actual effect has been to give you an
opportunity to use the NCDNHC as a bully pulpit to advance your own
causes, and to be sure that your alternate will not undermine that.

"Alternate" should be an elected office. I much prefer Nii's formulation,
where two "standing" alternates are elected, and who may stand in for
any of the NC reps. This makes it more likely, in my opinion, that the
NC reps will attend to the concerns that actually surface in the
NCDNHC.