Re: CHARTER

From: KathrynKL@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 13:46:24 PST

Greetings all from 12 feet of snow in Washington, DC!
Things have been very quiet since Raul posted the revised charter for
discussion. Before the discussion period closes tomorrow, I wanted to express
my support for the Alternate provisions set out in the revised charter.

Background:
Alternates are a NCDNHC innovation. It was created when I was running for
the Names Council back in August and recognized that for financial and
personal reasons, there might be teleconferences, etc., that I might have to
miss. Others running for election felt the same way. Both Raul and I
selected our alternates, and they were wonderful choices. Alejandro Pisanty,
now an ICANN Director!, worked with Raul as his alternate, and Randy Bush did
a wonderful job as my alternate.

In each case, we selected our own alternates, and then listed them on the
ballots with us. These were people from our same region who shared our
outlook on Constituency/ICANN matters. In my case, the similarities in
outlook and the working relationship we had made it very easy for Randy Bush
to step in as needed and to continue the work that I had been doing.

My Recommendation:
I woud like to keep the Alternate system as simple and easy in this election
as it was in August. Letting the NC rep choose "Altenate their running mate"
will do that.

Holding a separate election creates a tremendous amount of extra work, and
may create a situation where the alternates and main NC reps don't work well
together. That would be completely contrary to the original intent....

Regards,
Kathy Kleiman

In point G : (ALTERNATES)
David Maher, Vany Martinez and I expressed some disagreements.

David Maher : "I suggest that a simultaneous vote be held for alternates. I
also suggest that, if an alternate resigns or is otherwise not able to
function, there will be a new election, provided, however, that a rep may
appoint a substitute alternate if there are 3 months or less remaining in
the term of office"

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Kent@SONGBIRD.COM