Re: CHARTER - FINAL DECISION

From: Kent Crispin (kent@SONGBIRD.COM)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 07:10:04 PST

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 12:34:33PM -0300, Raúl Echeberría wrote:

> We have decided about 1 year term.
>
> The another issue not solved yet is ALTERNATES.
>
> Time to discuss is closed (noon GMT today)
>
> We have only two options:
>
> Nii's proposal (without a final and formal text) and my proposal merging
> Kathryn's, Vany's and Nii's suggestions.

Here is formal text to support Nii's suggestion. Note that it
considerably simplifies the charter, because the Ad Com members are on
a more equal footing, and alternates are always available:

Section IV(F), "Alternates", becomes

    F. ** Alternates

    While it is anticipated that Names Council representatives will
    manage the many tasks of Names Council representation, Constituency
    management and DNSO working group participation, it is also
    recognized that participation in the many international meetings,
    international conference calls, and other Names Council duties may
    from time to time require a sharing of time and costs with an
    Alternate.

    In such a case the first choice for alternate shall be the
    Administrative Committee member who was the person with the fourth
    highest number of votes from a different geographic region than the
    3 Names Council Representatives. Should that person decline, or
    otherwise not be able to perform the task, the Administrative
    Committee member who was the person with the fifth highest number of
    votes from a different geographic region than the 3 Names Council
    Representatives shall serve.

Section G is greatly simplified, since Ad Com members are all on a more
equal footing, alternates are always available and we need not
distinguish between Ad Com members who are NC reps, and those who are
not (this is all of section G):

    G. Resignation or Withdrawal

    Should an Administrative Committee member withdraw, resign or
    otherwise relinquish his/her position prior to the end of his/her
    term, the Geographic region of the Administrative Committee member
    shall be asked to hold new elections for this position. Such
    elected replacements shall only fill out the remaining term of the
    departing member. The Geographic region may elect to not hold an
    election, if they deem there is insufficient time before the next
    full election.