voting

From: Kent Crispin (kent@SONGBIRD.COM)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 21:51:59 PST

On a different topic, we will soon be having an election. We also have
people subscribed to this list who are known or suspected of spoofing
email addresses with malicious intent.

As some of you know, I have implemented a votebot that is fairly
resistent to such problems, and I am interested in exercising that
software. The software is designed so that a configurable set of
people can be identified as auditors who can see every ballot that is
cast. Furthermore, it can display results to a web page, so that
anyone can monitor the progress of an election.

The only thing I require to set up the votebot is the list of email
addresses for the members (which I can pull from YJ's list), and your
permission. Anyone who wants to can be defined as an auditor, since
this is a public election.

I believe his is a win-win situation for all of us -- I will get the
chance to exercise the software and pull out any bugs that are found;
you will get an authenticated spoof-proof election, with automatic
counting of the results and instant display on a web page.

If this is agreeable to the constituency I propose that I set up the
votebot, and send out a test ballot. If people feel comfortable with
that result, then we can use it for the real election. If not, then I
will go work on it some more.

Comments?