Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: Kent Crispin (kent@SONGBIRD.COM)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 06:07:25 PDT

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 08:35:51PM +0900, Adam Peake wrote:
> Would someone please clarify the rule on ISOC Chapter membership, they
> can't join as voting members, right?
>
> What's are the reasons for this.

Good question. The rights of ISOC chapters were traded away as a
political measure during the formation of the NCC. In some countries
the ISOC chapters are the best representative of interest in the
Internet in that country.

>From what I can see the relationship between ISOC chapters and ISOC per
se is quite variable, and it is probably the case that ISOC chapters
would be more inclined to vote on regional lines than the "ISOC party
line" (whatever that might be).