Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: veni markovski (veni@veni.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 06:58:52 PDT

>On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 08:35:51PM +0900, Adam Peake wrote:
> > Would someone please clarify the rule on ISOC Chapter membership, they
> > can't join as voting members, right?
> >
> > What's are the reasons for this.
>
>Good question. The rights of ISOC chapters were traded away as a
>political measure during the formation of the NCC. In some countries
>the ISOC chapters are the best representative of interest in the
>Internet in that country.

Of course. Not only this - in cases like Bulgaria, ISOC-Bulgaris has filed
a case in the Supreme Court against the government-proposed licensing of
ISPs and has managed to achieve a victory. In Russia - on the contrary -
noone dares to challenge the government.
Now, the Russian section of ISOC will be able to vote, and we - won't. It
seems unfair.

> >From what I can see the relationship between ISOC chapters and ISOC per
>se is quite variable, and it is probably the case that ISOC chapters
>would be more inclined to vote on regional lines than the "ISOC party
>line" (whatever that might be).

Sure. Another reason why ISOC chapters should have the right to vote.

regards,
veni