Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: Kevin J. Connolly (CONNOLLK@rspab.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 13:23:28 PDT

As the founder of the Greater Metro New York City Chapter of ISOC,
I can testify that ISOC chapters are distinct legal entities from ISOC
per se. ISOC invested a great deal of time and energy to make sure
that ISOC and its chapters are legally and practically distinct.

This has led to some embarassments for ISOC. For example, at least
one European chapter of ISOC was an outspoken opponent of the
GTLD-MoU. I suspect that the reason why ISOC "gave up" on the
issue of chapter membership precisely because the chapters are
beyond the control of the International. The relationship between
ISOC and the chapters is very similar to that between parent and child.
And the chldren are rude and the parent is mortified :-)

Kevin J. Connolly
The opinions expressed are those of the author, not of Robinson
Silverman Pearce Aronsohn & Berman LLP
This note is not legal advice. If it were, it would come with an invoice.

Live....like there's no tomorrow.....
     Love.....like you've never been hurt.....
          And dance.....like no-one's watching :-)))))

As usual, please disregard the trailer which follows.

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com