Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: KathrynKL@aol.com
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 11:08:40 PDT

<<
 maybe chapters went overboard in our desire to keep things clean and
 transparent. Kent is right about the varying degrees of independence of
 chapters. We agreed not to vote in order to avoid the argument, suspicion
 or even eventually fact of double representation; this is in line with the
 rules of large organizations having two votes.
 Alejandro Pisanty >>

Alejandro is absolutely right about how the compromise that was drawn about
chapters of large organizations. How do we avoid too much representation
from one organization -- particularly one with many chapters? We were
concerned not just about ISOC, but also about my organization, ACM, and
others.

It may be time for a review of this policy, but I think we may be entering
very sticky territory. We have a fairly simple system for review and
acceptance of new members now. I would hate to see us have to adopt a
lengthy process for review of the "independence of a chapter." I don't think
that would be good for the NCC, or for the chapters. Wouldn't such a process
have to be very invasive?

kathy kleiman