Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: Tarek Kamel (tkamel@idsc.gov.eg)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 09:25:56 PDT

hello everybody

Supporting what Nii is saying, I am not representing the Egyptian chapter
in the ISOC BOT. Indeed in the developing world we have to wear sometimes
several hats.

Anyhow, during the discussions within the last couple of days, there has
been some questions about the chapter coordination (they are around 80
chapters now). We have created recently in the Cairo chapter meeting the
chapter council and we are trying to make it encourage the chapter
cooperation on a regional and international level, simply to create
a vehicle to help isoc.org

We are still in the beginning, but it might be a vehicle to
give a broader representation and help to make progress on several
aspects.
ISOC web site has some more details in its chapter section.

I do not want to keep this constituency busy with chapters issues

regards

Tarek

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Dr. Nii Quaynor wrote:

> > Tarek Kamel wrote:
> >
> > > just a another small comment before the formulation starts, I do also
> > > support a stronger role for the ISOC chapters as they play a major role
> > > of THE forum for Internet diffusion in a lot of the developing
> countries.
> >
> >Milton wrote:
> > Tarek:
> > That may be true, but the question is whether these chapters are *already*
> represented
> > through ISOC. Giving them an additional vote may unfairly multiply the
> influence of a
> > specific organization. I note in this regard that you are on the Board of
> trustees of
> > the Internet Society. So presumably the Egyptian ISOC chapter is quite
> well represented
> > by the parent organization. Do you feel you need another vote?
> >

> ISOC chapters are varied in the developing world particularly in Internet
> diffusion. Probably so varied that one wonders if the parent ISOC has enough
> votes to trully represent all the chapters. I am not sure this is equally
> true of other organizational members and their chapters. ISOC chapters are
> having a more direct involvement in expanding the reach of the Internet and
> may deserve the multiplicative influence.
>
> The Egyptian ISOC chapter is not the member of ISOC Board of Trustees; its
> Tarek who is the member. Its not obvious how that translates to
> representation of the Egyptian ISOC chapter by the parent ISOC organization
> because Tarek is an ISOC Board member. Most active professionals, especially
> in developing countries have had to wear multiple hats.
>
> Yes, ISOC Ghana chapter will like to have a vote or have bigger delta votes
> added to ISOC parent organizations votes!
>
> Nii

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Kent@SONGBIRD.COM