Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: Adam Peake (ajp@glocom.ac.jp)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 21:47:11 PDT

>Kent Crispin wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:11:12AM -0400, James Love wrote:
>> > They should just create a constituency for individuals, so people
>> > don't have to try to cram into groups where they don't fit. Also, I
>> > don't see why so many people who are represented in the ccTLD or other
>> > groups insist on voting here too, given their largely commercial
>> > interests in ICANN issues.
>>
>> ccTLDs are largely non-commercial.
>
> Some of the other constituencies have placed limits on membership
>in more than one catagory, for obvious reasons. ICANN has this absurd
>situtation where some people can vote in three DNSO group, and others
>can vote zero times.

Jamie:
Non-commercial constituency voting membership is limited to organizations
that are not also members of other DNSO constituencies. I believe every
draft of the constituency charter has contained some such language.

We have 3 cc-tld NICs in the membership lists (Taiwan, Korea and China.) I
don't know if these organizations are members of other constituencies (I
noted a question in the recently updated list.) Voting records from the
February election seem to show only Korea (KRNIC) as having voted (perhaps
KRNIC is not a member or not a voting member of the cc-tld constituency, or
perhaps this was a mistake and they should not have voted. I don't know.
Taiwan and China NICs did not vote.)

> How many groups do you belong to? I think Milton noted earlier
>that you provide web hosting to the IPC. How many of the NCDNHC's are
>members of more than one group?

Kent explained his hosting of the IP constituency recently. See the list
archives. 18 Apr 2000. He also offered to host the NCC site (for free.)

Thanks,

Adam