Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: James Love (love@cptech.org)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 07:42:29 PDT

Hey Kent. If you actually worked for a noncommercial organization, you
might understand how much it pisses some people off when the NCDNHC
becomes just another vehicle for business interests to have yet another
vote in ICANN.

 jamie

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 11:28:04PM -0400, KathrynKL@aol.com wrote:
> > I would think that a voting representative of an organization in another
> > constituency should Not be the voting representative in this constituency.
> > This issue arose early in the NCC and we urged the organization to find
> > another individual to vote in NCC.
>
> While that sounds good in theory, it's really just a pointless charade.
> All the constituencies allow participation by non-voting members, as we
> do, so Bill is free to participate in them all; Bill could simply come
> up with a surrogate to do his vote for him, when it came time. And
> remember, the actual entity that votes in the NCC is an email address.
>
> >One of the goals of the Constituency system is to allow a diversity of voices
> >to be heard. That goal could be thwarted by one person or one organization
> >playing a dominant role in various constituencies.
>
> Please note: our charter allows Bill to be heard, no matter what --
> anybody can join this list and participate. The only issue is what
> email address an organization authorizes to send in a vote.
>
> --
> Kent Crispin "Do good, and you'll be
> kent@songbird.com lonesome." -- Mark Twain
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: love@cptech.org

James Love, Director           | http://www.cptech.org
Consumer Project on Technology | mailto:love@cptech.org
P.O. Box 19367                 | voice: 1.202.387.8030
Washington, DC 20036           | fax:   1.202.234.5176