Re: [ncc-charter] Re: Replacing Section F of the Charter

From: Milton Mueller (mueller@syr.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 11:00:09 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Adam Peake" <ajp@glocom.ac.jp>

    > Replacement stands with the No.1 in the election then hovers about in the
    > wings waiting for a retirement. A bit like the alternate idea, except the
    > replacement doesn't actually do anything after they are "elected". On the
    > other hand, the 2 Adcom members, 4th and 5th in the election, work for the
    > constituency and keep themselves involved. And the replacement just sits
    > around waiting for their No.1 to resign.

    No, actually it increases the likelihood of someone getting involved. The
    person who is designated a replacement receives some official recognition as
    a kind of officer in the constituency. If this person is going to do work
    for the constituency, designating them as a replacement will help. It will
    motivate them to follow the NC activities and Adcom activities.

    > This proposal will do nothing to help with the work of the constituency,
    > might even discourage Adcom members from taking on more work.

    This makes utterly no sense. People who are going to do work for the
    constituency are going to work regardless of whether there is replacement
    candidate waiting in the wings.
    People who will not work will not be affected either way.

    > I would also worry about the possibility of all kinds of fixing - a
    popular
    > replacement helping the election of a weaker first candidate. Of course
    > the replacement would most likely never be required to perform any service
    > for the constituency, but they might still help elect a candidate who
    would
    > fail in a straight head to head. Only takes a couple of votes to swing
    > things.

    I don't see this as a problem. A popular replacement *does* improve the
    quality of the candidacy of a weaker candidate. He or she is available for
    advice or support of various kinds.

    > The replacement proposal might more representative. However, I think we
    > should place a higher value on the quality of our elected representatives
    > rather than focus only on their region of origin (this is matter of
    > delicate balance, I come down in favor of quality.)

    The quality of the people who get elected is unaffected by the existence of
    a replcaement.