Re: [ncc-charter] Re: Replacing Section F of the Charter

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 11:18:18 PDT

    On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 02:00:09PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

> [...]

    You mean, just like an adcom member? Maybe we should just get rid of
    adcom members entirely, and have NC reps and their assistants do it
    all?

    > If this person is going to do work
    > for the constituency, designating them as a replacement will help. It will
    > motivate them to follow the NC activities and Adcom activities.

    This is backward. You want people who are motivated as officers -- you
    don't put people in office to motivate them.

    > > This proposal will do nothing to help with the work of the constituency,
    > > might even discourage Adcom members from taking on more work.
    >
    > This makes utterly no sense.
    > People who are going to do work for the
    > constituency are going to work regardless of whether there is replacement
    > candidate waiting in the wings. People who will not work will not be
    > affected either way.

    :-)

    You just invalidated your own argument about motivation. On the other
    hand, Adam's point in fact makes a lot of sense. You (and Vany) are
    proposing "alternates" or "assistants" who are to take on some of the
    work that we elected the adcom for.