Re: [ncc-charter] charter amendment - non-voting members?

From: Milton Mueller (mueller@syr.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 15:23:51 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Adam Peake" <ajp@glocom.ac.jp>

    > I think we need to say what non-voting membership means.

    We need to eliminate that language. Substitute "non-voting participants."
    They are not members.

    > Current charter text says:
    >
    > *Non-voting members can participate in the discussion list, submit
    > *proposals to the Constituency and participate in all open
    > *teleconference calls and physical meetings.

    That is too much. No other constituency allows non-members to participate in
    their Adcom meetings. You could reduce membership to meaninglessness if
    teleconferences (which are difficult enough to communicate in as it is) can
    be attended with full participation of non-members.