Re: [ncc-charter] charter amendment - non-voting members?

From: Adam Peake (ajp@glocom.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 07:40:26 PDT

    Dear Milton, thank you.

    Why will you not accept the following? (disregard the "of" please)

    > The NCDNHC will have two types of membership, voting members and
    > non-voting members.
    >
    > Associations or organizations whose specific goals are to represent
    > {of} the interests of registries, registrars or ISPs or those whose
    > specific interests are to defend the Intellectual Property rights of
    > their associates cannot have full member status but may participate
    > as non-voting members.
    >
    > Non-voting members can participate in Constituency discussion lists,
    > propose and discuss resolutions and participate in all physical
    > meetings. Non-voting members cannot vote in the election of
    > Constituency representatives, cannot vote on resolutions and should
    > not participate in constituency Adcom teleconference calls.
    >
    > We understand that many subgroups have separate interests and a
    > separate voice from their parent organizations. Those subgroups are
    > welcome to participate fully and actively in the Constituency as
    > non-voting members.

    If you have a reason, please share it with us. Once you've stated your
    reason, please say whether you will accept version I sent earlier (to which
    Kent objected, but you seemed to accept... perhaps I misunderstood your
    email of a couple of days ago)

    Kent, if Milton accepts the following, will you? (I think the 3rd para
    should go before the 2nd, but that's not a real big issue.) We can come
    back to it after the November meeting.

    >The NCDNHC will have two types of membership, voting members and
    >non-voting members.
    >
    >We recognize that some organizations that are non-profit and engage
    >in non-commercial activities may be eligible for other DNSO
    >constituencies, but in order to focus the efforts of the NCDNHC,
    >such organizations are eligible for voting membership in the NCDNHC
    >only if they are not voting members in any other DNSO Constituency.
    >[Sentence moved below and changed]
    >
    >We understand that many subgroups have separate interests and a
    >separate voice from their parent organizations. Those subgroups are
    >welcome to participate fully and actively in the Constituency as
    >non-voting members.
    >
    >[New/moved text]
    >Non-voting members can participate in Constituency discussion lists,
    >propose and discuss resolutions and participate in all physical meetings.
    >Non-voting members cannot vote in the election of Constituency
    >representatives, cannot vote on resolutions and should not participate in
    >constituency Adcom teleconference calls.
    >
    >[End new]

    Thank you for your understanding.

    Adam