[ncc-charter] Going the wrong way

From: Dany Vandromme (vandrome@renater.fr)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 23:53:15 PDT

    Hi all

    I apologize for being silent sometimes but I am receiving far more e-mails
    everyday than I am able to read!

    Concerning the charter revision, we started from a controversy about the
    replacement principle for the NC/adcom seats.
    After discussions, mostly between MM, KC and myself, I circulate a new
    version, based on the initial charter available on the NCDNHC website,
    including agreed modifications and a 2-option paragraph for the
    replacement.

    Then it was noticed that that initial charter was not perfectly adequate
    and should have been replaced by the february version, issued from Raul's
    participation. I had no time to redo the writing from Raul's version, but
    I think Kent did it. Fine for me!

    Then, rather than deciding (NCC-CHARTER + eventually adcom) between option
    1 and 2, debates went around the word "observer"
    instead of non-voting member. Then on, discussion is now about eligibility
    for NCC with respect to possible participation to other constituencies
    (and vice-versa).

    As a result, we lost completely the initial objective to have in hand a
    revised charter before the election (supposed to start with the nomination
    period on Sept 1st). The election has not started yet (and who knows when
    it will start as long as we do not have an agreed charter, dealing with
    the election process.

    Sorry to be pragmatic but it seems we should go back ASAP to the proposed
    charter, substituting only observer with non-voting member if adequate,
    and decide between option 1 or 2 (Only Vany gave her position about that),
    and then start the election process.

    (Referring to previous mail, non-voting member means for me NON-VOTING. No
    point to enumerate cases where it applies: it applies to any
    decision-making process of the constituency).

    Looking forward to see your comments

    Dany

    Dany VANDROMME | Directeur du GIP RENATER

                    Reseau National de Telecommunications
             pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                      | ENSAM
    Tel : +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30 | 151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
    Fax : +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31 | 75013 Paris
    E-mail: Dany.Vandromme@renater.fr | FRANCE