[ncc-charter] another try and text on non-voting

From: Adam Peake (ajp@glocom.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 00:37:10 PDT

    Rob, Dany, Milton, thanks for your comments.

    One more stab at this below. I've left in the preceding paragraph which
    also sets rules on membership and exclusion.

    I made a change (see *) which I hope will satisfy Dany's concern.

    Wording is clumsy (so what's new!) but overall I hope it reflects what
    various people have asked for.

    Note, I used "should not" rather the "cannot" re. participation in Adcom
    calls to give room for the Adcom to invite a non voting members if such
    need arose.

    Thanks,

    Adam

    The membership of the NCDNHC specifically excludes commercial
    entities and associations of or for the benefit of commercial
    entities (even if they are non-commercial in form), and also
    excludes organizations which use the Internet primarily for
    commercial activity, even if their other activities are
    non-commercial.

    The NCDNHC will have two types of membership, voting members and
    non-voting members.

    Associations or organizations whose specific goals are to represent
    the interests of registries, registrars or ISPs or those whose
    specific interests are to defend the Intellectual Property rights of
    their associates cannot have full member status but may participate
    as non-voting members.

    Non-voting members can participate in Constituency discussion lists,
    propose and discuss resolutions and participate in all physical
    meetings. *Non-voting members have no voting rights in the
    constituency and its processes* and should not participate in
    constituency Adcom teleconference calls.

    We understand that many subgroups have separate interests and a
    separate voice from their parent organizations. Those subgroups are
    welcome to participate fully and actively in the Constituency as
    non-voting members.

     [New Text]
     |Political organizations that are non-governmental are eligible for
     |voting status. A political organization shall be considered
     |"non-governmental" if its primary purpose is to influence governmental
     |or public policy, but not to hold governmental offices or to elect
     |government officials. Ineligible political organizations are those
     |whose primary purpose is to hold government offices and/or elect
     |government officials. In unclear or borderline cases, the voting status
     |of a political organization will be decided by the constituency
     |membership after review of the application on its merits.

    III. Organizational Principles ...