Re: [ncc-charter] another try and text on non-voting

From: Milton Mueller (mueller@syr.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 07:41:48 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Dany Vandromme"

    > > Note, I used "should not" rather the "cannot" re. participation in Adcom
    > > calls to give room for the Adcom to invite a non voting members if such
    > > need arose.

    This can be improved, see below.

    > > Associations or organizations whose specific goals are to represent
    > > the interests of registries, registrars or ISPs or those whose
    > > specific interests are to defend the Intellectual Property rights of
    > > their associates cannot have full member status but may participate
    > > as non-voting members.
    > >
    > > Non-voting members can participate in Constituency discussion lists,
    > > propose and discuss resolutions and participate in all physical
    > > meetings. *Non-voting members have no voting rights in the
    > > constituency and its processes* and should not participate in
    > > constituency Adcom teleconference calls.

    Question: what does a non-voting member do to become a "non-voting member"?
    I assume that there is language somewhere that requires them to go through
    the same application process as voting members. If not, this must be
    addressed in your revisions.

    Replace last part of last sentence with: "cannot participate in constituency
    Adcom teleconference calls unless invited by unanimous consent of Adcom
    members."

    > > We understand that many subgroups have separate interests and a
    > > separate voice from their parent organizations. Those subgroups are
    > > welcome to participate fully and actively in the Constituency as
    > > non-voting members.

    OK